Many people are unaware of the numerous health issues mold can cause, and it can be a common issue in every household. Namely, mold can grow under the skin, in the basement, at the shower curtain, and everywhere in your home.
According to Dr.Mercola:
“Fungi grow by releasing reproductive cells (spores) into the air, just as plants reproduce by spreading seeds. The airborne spores are invisible to the naked eye, which is a major reason mold is such a problem.
It is not uncommon to find hundreds or even thousands of mold spores per cubic foot of indoor air. Spores are extremely small (1-100 microns)—20 million spores would fit on a postage stamp.
Spores can survive harsh environmental conditions, such as dryness, that do not support normal mold growth. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, provided moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, tile, sheetrock, insulation, leather, fabrics, and foods.
Molds survive by digesting whatever substrate they are growing on, which is a real problem when it happens to be your floorboards. There is no way to eliminate all mold and mold spores from your indoor environment; the only way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture. “
There are more than a thousand types of mold, and scientists classify them according to their effects:
Allergenic molds are the least dangerous molds, that endanger the health of people with asthma or with a predisposition to develop an allergy to the specific mold.
These molds cause infections, especially in people with a weak immune system. People exposed to pathogenic molds often experience an acute response resembling bacterial pneumonia.
These molds produce mycotoxins that seriously harm our health, weaken the immune system and lead to cancer.
Dr. Mercola also lists the five most common indoor molds:
Alternaria: Commonly found in your nose, mouth, and upper respiratory tract; can cause allergic responses.
Aspergillus: Usually found in warm, extremely damp climates, and a common occupant of house dust; produces mycotoxins; can cause lung infections.
Cladosporium: This very common outdoor fungus can find its way indoors to grow on textiles, wood, and other damp, porous materials; triggers hay fever and asthma symptoms.
Penicillium: Very common species found on wallpaper, decaying fabrics, carpet, and fiberglass duct insulation; known for causing allergies and asthma; some species produce mycotoxins, one being the common antibiotic penicillin.
Stachybotrys: Extremely toxic “black mold” that produces mycotoxins that can cause serious breathing difficulties and bleeding of the lungs, among other health problems. Thankfully, less common in homes than the other four, but not rare; found on wood or paper (cellulose products), but NOT on concrete, linoleum or tile.
The exposure to mold can cause numerous health problems, known as a mold illness.
“Mold illness may be the most prominent health problem physicians are missing today — a “hidden” pandemic that’s sweeping the nation.
Millions are suffering from mysterious illnesses for which they’ve received essentially no help from physicians. Some are referred to psychologists after being told their illness is “imagined,” while others are accused of fabrication.
Because mold toxins are so unique and their effects are so broad, symptoms of mold toxicity are complex and varied, making it difficult for physicians to arrive at the correct diagnosis.”
According to the Mayo Clinic:
“Although a mold allergy is the most common problem caused by exposure to mold, mold can cause illness without an allergic reaction. Mold can also cause infections or irritant and toxic reactions. Infections caused by mold can lead to a variety of problems from flu-like symptoms to skin infections and even pneumonia. “
Mold toxicity is another serious problem, known as a Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS). Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, author of Surviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings, defines it as:
“an acute and chronic, systemic inflammatory response acquired following exposure to the interior environment of a water-damaged building with resident toxigenic organisms, including, but not limited to fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and Mycobacterium as well as inflammagens…”
These are the 11 most common signs of a mold illness:
- Asthma and sinus problems
- Weakness and fatigue
- Brain fog, memory issues, headaches, difficulties focusing
- Night Sweats
- Muscle cramps, nerve pain, muscle, and joint pain
- Numbness and tingling
- Tremors and vertigo
- Excessive thirst and increased urination
- Metallic taste in the mouth
- Eye issues like light sensitivity
- Digestive issues
The following video will teach you how to deal with mold:
The post Mold Illness Is Everywhere: What It Is and 11 Signs You Have It appeared first on Healthy Food House.